Thursday, July 31, 2008

If I could just take a moment...

to vent. As noted in my header, I am a band mom or more specifically the Band Booster President for this season. Which has just started and I am already over these people. I swear, I do not have the patience to do this and why the hell I signed up I will never figure out.

Note I'm annoyed daily by the other parents and their lack of participation (THEY ARE YOUR KIDS!! HELLO! TAKE AN INTEREST) but here's today's annoyance.

We had a fundraiser in conjunction with a local grocery store's grand opening. If we had two volunteers sit at a table and offer store cards for 2 hours a day twice a day (are you following me on this?) then they would donate $1000 to our organization. Easy money. E-A-S-Y money...no selling gift wrap or crappy candles, no pushing donuts in peoples faces. Just sit and wait for them to come to you. So of course we signed up and committed to providing people for 28 slots. We asked parents to volunteer and they CHOSE what time they wanted to work the table. (That alone was like pulling teeth.)

So just now I get an email from the coordinator saying that we had one parent not show on Monday and another not show yesterday.
WTF?!
I'm asking you is 2 hours too much time for you to come out and support your child?! I'm so pissed right now it's unnatural. It's sad that you can depend on people's children more than you can depend on them.

I have no problems with any of students. They are great kids, who obviously learned it from someone other than their much-too-busy-to-be-involved-in-my-child's-life-but-I-have-time-to-tan-shop-and-gossip-about-other-people parents.

The whole thing just makes me ill. Some of these parents have never attended a football game or a competition and they have no idea what their kids do. It's sad really...

6 comments:

MomOf4 said...

I am very involoved in my kids' school too, and it always shocks me how uninvolved some people are. It is very frustrating! Good for you for taking on such a big role though! I am sure the kids appreciate it!

Lula! said...

OK, I'll go back and read this post, but first I have to tell you:

NO! I have not been to the Redneck Games. For all my big talk, I am a fraidy cat when it comes to such as that. What if they tried to steal my teeth? Or brand me with a rebel flag tattoo? Shudder!

I love rednecks--but the real ones. Not the racist/phony/putting on a show ones, ya know?

Lula! said...

OK...
I read it all.
And get ready, 'cause today I witnessed a scene that sorrowed me so much I have to blog about it very soon. Parents who are more concerned with their beer than their crying kids at a pool. PUH-lease.

And you are a glutton for punishment for being the band booster queen. I have a feeling you'll do GREAT at it, though. Keep us posted, especially after football season is underway.

Anonymous said...

I hope ya'll didn't lose out on the donation because of the parents that didn't show -- that would really suck -- but if you did, make sure you tell everyone so the parents that did show can beat up the ones that didn't. lol.

Crazy Momma said...

I SO hear you!

I'm sorry your stressed!

I learned this baseball season that I CANNOT be involved with volunteering for the team. The parent's lack of involvement (or discipline of their own children) is too stinking much for me to handle...of course, it took me two seasons to figure out that I don't HAVE to volunteer - the team will survive without me and I don't need the stress.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that! It makes me feel kind of bad about never volunteering to sell donuts when my son was in band! But...I didn't volunteer and then just not show up. I would never stiff someone that way! How tacky!