Tuesday, June 17, 2008

New to Me Recipes - Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos & Skillet Corn

On Sunday we all got together at my Dad's to celebrate Fathers Day. My SM (stepmother) decided to go Mexican with this holiday so I made bacon wrapped jalapenos and skillet corn to bring. Both turned out fantastic and were very easy to prepare and transport.

First the jalapenos.
I used 15 jalapenos, one package of cream cheese and 1 pound of bacon. (I had a few pieces of bacon left over that I popped in the microwave and ate while making the skillet corn. It was my reward!)

This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman and couldn't be an easier...in a nutshell you take jalapenos, slice them lengthwise, clean out the membrane and seeds (or leave some for the hotheads like I did..."It's not that hot."=famous last words) and then fill with softened cream cheese. Just plain ole' cream cheese...although I used the lower fat variety, Neufchatel. Then you take a package of bacon and slice the whole thing in thirds. Wrap a third of a slice around each stuffed jalapeno and then use a toothpick to hold them together. Because I'm special I used red toothpicks to identify the "hotter" ones and then yellow and green for the "mild" ones.



The original recipe says to bake @ 375 for 25 minutes. I left mine in for 35 minutes and they probably could have used a few more minutes so it just depends on your oven's settings. I have to be honest...I don't like jalapenos so I didn't try them but I made 30 and there weren't any left!



Next up, Skillet Corn.
I grabbed this recipe from Kate at Happy to Be @ Home. Again, really easy directions but it made a very flavorful side dish. I chopped a 1/2 cup of red pepper and a 1/2 cup of onion and cooked them in some butter until the onions were cooked. Then I added a bag of frozen corn, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. The original recipe calls for cayenne pepper, but I didn't have any so I left it out. Just heat through or until the corn starts to brown a little.



See all those yummy spices!



This dish would probably freeze really well, but since there wasn't much left I didn't bother trying it. When I make it for home, I will use the same portions and just freeze half of it for a future dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't try the bacon wrapped jalepenos either, but really liked the corn. Reminded me of the mexi-corn you buy in a can, just better.

As I was reheating and eating the taco bake, I was pouring on Taco Bell taco sauce [the $1 jars from Walmart] and it made it a lot better I thought.