Monday, January 12, 2009

It's really THAT easy...

It's been a while since I posted any new recipes. Sunday I spent most of the day with my trusty laptop and while I was jumping around I found a recipe for "mix in the pan" cakes that claimed to be as good as a boxed cake mix AND as easy.

That's a claim I wanted to put to the test.

Since I still had applesauce in my freezer I decided on the applesauce version, leaving the chocolate one for another day.

"Mix in the Pan" Applesauce Cake

Here's what you need:


1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice I used a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves since I didn't have any allspice.
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vinegar I used apple cider vinegar cause it's what I had.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Measure all the dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spice(s), and salt) into the 8-inch UNGREASED square pan. Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Pour the wet ingredients (water, applesauce, oil, and vinegar) into the flour mixture and stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together, but do not beat or over-mix.

Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (It was 40 minutes in my oven.) Serve plain or dust with powdered sugar.


I couldn't wait to cut into it so it was still hot when I did. It crumbled a bit because I didn't let it cool properly. Didn't bother me a bit. The cake still tasted good and I'm not above eating crumbs.

The only I might change next time is to add more applesauce and less oil. And I might add some raisins. Or walnuts. Or raisins and walnuts. Or chopped apples. Or...well as you can see I could do a million things with it but the basic recipe is good and just as easy as it said.

Wondering what I had for dinner? Check this out. Let's just say my kitchen smelled delicious yesterday.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am really going to have to stop visiting! LOL I am on the path to health and fitness, I do not need to see this cake that looks of so delicious and easy to make! LOL

Carrie said...

I think that might be the end of WW for me...

Yummmmm...

Anonymous said...

Applesauce cake huh? Bet my kids would like that.

Kristin said...

Totally trying it tonight. I actually have all the ingredients in my pantry. Applesauce was BOGO a few weeks ago.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Yum. I made chili this morning. It really smells yummy. But now I am feeling the urge to have cake...

Shannon said...

Shane's grandmother makes a really good applesauce cake... our girls love it. They ask her to make one every single time they go over to her house! Which means they always bring home a few pieces... mmmm!

Shannon said...

Oh, and thanks for the questions... you gave me something to think about!

Lula! said...

Hey, I live just a few short hours from you...and I can seriously smell this all the way over here.

Or maybe that's the snow we're supposed to get?

I'm such a dork.

Candice said...

Yummy! That looks pretty tasty!

I typically use applesauce instead of oil for all baking recipes just to make them a little healthier. I only get moderate bitching from my husband. ;)