Monday, May 4, 2009

Tidy Tuesday

On this edition of Tidy Tuesday we are going to talk about cleaning up...but not like you think.

Instead of allowing this title to dictate my evening's to-do list tonight, I threw caution to the wind and went on my weekly excursions to CVS & Wags. Therefore this Tidy Tuesday we'll be talking about "cleaning up" at the drugstores.

Ya' know getting things for cheap.

If you haven't popped over to my other blog - Craving Savings - lately, you should because I'm on top of all the deals at CVS, Wags, Food Lion and Kroger.

Although I will admit Kroger has not been impressing me with their sale ads for two weeks running. Hello, Kroger - you really should step up your game.

Ahem.

As I was saying, I've been "cleaning up" at these stores for the past nine months and counting. My savings tally for 2009 so far is $3466.56 $3710.21. That's not counting what I got tonight.

After bragging talking about my great deals some of my friends - IRL and fellow bloggers - decided to take the plunge into the land of Extra Care Bucks. Since then I've heard nothing but great things.

They are ecstatic with the savings and seeing how all those little paper coupons can really add up when you take the time to redeem them.

So instead of cleaning my filthy house for this post, I sacrificed and went on another trip to CVS to show you how easy it is to do.

Tonight I got this AND 4- 12 packs of soda:



For only 98 CENTS. As in 98 pennies...as in not even a dollar...as in less than you would pay for ONE of those Vitamin Waters.

And if I can do it, YOU can do it. Here's the perfect scenario to start you out:

1. Buy 3 Kellogg's cereal for $10 (Sale price is $3/10 for select varieties)

2. Use 3 of the $1 off Kellogg's coupons found HERE.

3. Pay $7 + tax and receive $5 ECB's.

Bada Bing baby! Welcome to the game...the drugstore game.

If you really want to be adventurous and do TWO transactions I would say to start with the Adidas deodorant that is on sale for $3.99.

1. Pay for deodorant and receive $3.00 ECB's. (BTW, there was a $1 coupon for Adidas in the 4/5 inserts that you can use if you have it.)

2. Then use that $3 ECB to pay for part of the cereal.

3. You end up spending $8 out of pocket, but you have 3 boxes of cereal, deodorant AND $5 ECB's to show for it.

How ya' like me now?

Yep, I'm "cleaning up" and you can too!

Now that I've admitted I have an addition to a certain drugstore in my area, and that my house is filthy, feel free to leave me a comment about how great I am. No, really I won't mind. Then head over to Denise and Brandy's place to see what kind of "cleaning up" they are doing for Tidy Tuesday.

20 comments:

Candice said...

I'm totally confused. This is why I never save money doing stuff like this.

It's WAY over my head apparently. ;)

I'm jealous though!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Oh, Brandy, you are So Great. SO GREAT. (Are you feeling the love, yet?)

I LOVE the CVS deals. I used to be really into it big time but got lazy. You have inspired me to get my ass back in gear.

And Kroger? They sicken me more and more every day. I wish I had another store to shop at, but I am stuck with them. And I think they know it.

mommakin said...

I too am stuck with Kroger. Or Giant Eagle, but they're worse. I am just getting started on the CVS business and I have you to thank for it. They shall be seeing more of me, for sure... They oughtta put you on their payroll!

April said...

The problem I have is the ONLY store we have here is Walmart. Oh well. Good for you though and I do think YOU ARE SO GREAT!

That Girl said...

I used to do ECB but there isnt a CVS close to my work or house so I got lazy. That led to ECB being wasted because I forgot until the day after they expired. I do still look at the paper but havent been there in awhile.

The Royal Family said...

nicely thought out! Way to plug your savings blog.

My tidy tues is about organizing and inventory-ing *is that a word* my stockpiles... so come look around!

The Buzz
Brandy

Kathy said...

I'm confused, too, but it looks interesting. I'm trying to remember where the CVS is..

~Trish~ said...

Wow way to go, that's awesome planning and saving!!

Carrie said...

I'm hugely addicted to drugstore shopping. I need help!

p.s. YOU ARE GREAT!

Denise Grover Swank said...

You're my hero and the wind beneath my wings, no wait, you're my inspiration. (I always get that confused.) I am your padawan. Yes that was a Star Wars reference. You know I've been saving and I really need to blog about it!

Slacker me JUST got my post up. Finally...

Robin said...

Okay.....I admit it, I'm clueless. What is an ECB?
And what if I don't like Adidas deodorant and Vitamin Waters and Zantrex? I'm screwed, right? :-/

I stopped cutting coupons some 20 years ago when I realized that all the printed coupons were for stuff I don't want or like. :-/
I was spending more money just to use the coupon on stuff my husband and I quickly realized we hated. Which I am guessing is why there is a coupon for it; no one is buying it. It's not selling and they have to get rid of it.
And then there are the multiple item coupons......you have to buy 2 or more of a product. What if you hate it? You now have not 1 but 2 or 3 or 6 to use up or eat. Not to mention you had to spend say 3.90 plus tax instead of 1.95, and all you saved on that transaction was 25 cents. So now you spent 3.65 instead of 1.95. And when you are buying in bulk lik that, where do you store it all?

Oh, occasionally I will clip a JoAnn's coupon but, well.....

I just don't get it. :-/

Denise Grover Swank said...

Wow Robin, are you serious? Yeah, there's some weird stuff out there for coupons but just last week I used coupons for Bandaids ($1.00 one box) and my kids go through Bandaids like crazy so no worries about not liking them. And diapers, if I can get $3.00 I might not be brand loyal, but unless you leave your kid in a diaper for half the day, most any brand will work.

Maybe couponing's not for everyone, and I admit I didn't used to do it, but I've just recently started and only use coupons for what I USED BEFORE. And I'm saving a ton of money too.

rozzissweetpeas said...

Love your energy and flow on the darling blog...you are terrific. Visiting from SITs. have a great day and congrads on being the feature blog...hugs rozzi

RamblingMother said...

Congrats on your SITS day. Walgreens discontinued their savings refund program. I just started it too and they quit it. No CVS near me, :{

Lauren said...

amazing! I have made a pact with myself several times to try CVS-ing but alas, I have not. Wags is right next door, and that sounds like a great excuse. ::blush::

Great blog!

Elizabeth Howard said...

This is pretty amazing stuff! Keep up the saving.

MaryRC said...

I rely on CVS bucks for my frequent last minute makeup loads for work. I keep the eyelashes in stock at my cvs, and i covet those coupons, you're such an inspiration, I've been considering getting the sunday paper just to start couponing again..

Christina McKinney said...

That's some serious savings! I just began trying to learn my way around the couponing world here recently...it's a rough road sometimes!

Unknown said...

You did awesome! I really wish we had CVS here in Oregon..but, I'll be content with Walgreens for now:)
I just started last year and still learning as I go!!Love your blog:)

Lisa said...

All the ECB's and CVS;;essss so confuse me. I really wanna know how to do this but I start reading y'alls blogs about it and it might as well be in french. *sigh*

Someone needs to give classes.
:)