Monday, July 27, 2009

Cherry-o!

This weekend I channeled my inner Martha Stewart & worked it in the kitchen. Not only did I make strawberry freezer jam (YUM!!) but I made an awesome fresh cherry cobbler for dessert last night.

I'm posting the recipe today...far, far away from Trim the Fat Thursday cause I don't want to sabotage anyone.

Except for myself apparently.

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and modified it a little based on some of the reviews. The original recipe can be found HERE.

Here's what you'll need:


1/2 cup butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (I used skim & it worked fine.)

3 cups pitted cherries (I used Bing since they were on sale last week; that's why I decreased the amount of sugar.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice (Guesstimate since I just squirted directly in the bowl.)

Tip: Wear gloves & old clothes to pit your cherries. Cherry juice WILL stain your hands & it's quite messy.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the butter into a 9x13 pan and insert in oven to melt. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder & milk. In a separate bowl mix the cherries, sugar, flour & cinnamon. Remove the pan from oven and add the batter. DO NOT STIR. Then add the cherries evenly over the batter. Again DO NOT STIR.

It will look a little like this.


Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

I realize that nothing about this picture says "golden brown" but the crowd was anxious for dessert so I didn't take any pictures before serving.



I'm one of those weird people that like crisp edges so I loved the corners where the butter almost fried the dough, however I would have liked a little more "cobbler" to go with the cherries.

Next time I might divide the recipe into two smaller pans, increasing both the cherries and the batter a little. And I would also cut my cherries in half. They didn't cook as much as I would have liked because they were so big. That's what she said.

Cherry cobbler & True Blood = The perfect way to end my Sunday

9 comments:

Roxane said...

Ohh that looks really yummy! Too bad I cant watch season 2 of true blood until it comes out on DVD. The suspense is KILLING me!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Yummy!! Thanks so much for this. I love crisp edges too.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I don't think that I have ever pitted cherries before. We just eat them straight :-)

Oh...and True blood. I almost forgot that it tivoed last night. But...I must admit...even though I LOVE cherries...I always think of that scene in "The Witches of Eastwick."

Lula! said...

OH MY STARS--I was gonna say the same as Kat. Cherries make me think of those witches in Eastwick. Every time.

And I don't like cherries. But I do like you. Amen.

Jen said...

that looks awesome. I think I need to go find me some cherries!

*~Dani~* said...

This is THE perfect dessert for True Blood night!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Love it!!

I want some.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

send me some now and no one gets hurt. dead serious. i need a bite of that stuff!

The Four Week Vegan said...

Why oh why are lots of blogs posting the most delicious desserts this week? I have no will power and will have to make them all soon and then be a glutton and eat them all. Looks so good!