Monday, March 28, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Soup

Yesterday we woke up to snow on the ground. It only lasted long enough to have me craving comfort food. Something cooked low & slow in the crock pot. Something like this...





Southerwestern Chicken Soup

4 cups chicken broth (homemade from the freezer)
1 12 oz pkg frozen corn
2 10 oz cans of Rotel
1 15 oz can pinto beans
2 cups green peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1.5lb chicken sliced into thin strips
.5 tsp garlic pepper
2  tsp cumin
Salt & pepper to taste

Add all the ingredients except the garlic pepper & cumin in a 4 quart crock pot. Cook on high for 1 hour and then on low for 6-7 hours. Add garlic pepper and cumin during the last few minutes.

Note: This is an adapted version of a recipe I found in the newspaper.  The original version called for a 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes and a 4oz can of green chilies, but as you can see the recipe is extremely adaptable to whatever you have on hand. 

I served it with cheese quesadillas made with homemade tortillas. And though there wasn't one snow flake left on the ground by the time we ate, it was delicious & filling.


4 comments:

CaraBee said...

This sounds delicious! I will definitely be making this soon!

Veronica said...

This is the kind of food I would love, but my family wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole or I guess in this case spoon.

Looks yummy!

Liz Mays said...

Oh boy, that looks delicious. That's my kind of comfort food too.

Marl Kids said...

Mmmm looks good I'll give it a go. I dont know what Rotel is (I'm English) but I'll improvise